The Minerva Active Learning Forum (ALF)
Presentation and Q&A with the Duke Distance Education Special Interest Group (DE SIG@Duke)
Minerva is a new kind of global university focused on smaller classes and active, online, fully
synchronous learning. DE SIG@Duke will host a demo and Q&A from Minerva
( https://www.minerva.kgi.edu/ ). Join Akiba Covitz – Head of Business Development for the
Minerva Project, the entity that owns the intellectual property of the Minerva Schools, for a demo
of ALF and a discussion of the Minerva Project.
Minerva developed the Active Learning Forum (ALF) to facilitate the types of active learning
activities Minerva courses require, including polling, voting, collaborative editing, and easy
management of breakout groups, all on one comprehensive learning management system. The
platform also collects student performance data that is in turn used to help personalize students’
- Early Chronicle of Higher Ed post with an overview of the Minerva experience: https://www.chronicle.com/article/An-Entrepreneur-Sets-Out-to-Do/228267
- Recent Harvard Alumni Magazine article that features Minerva: https://harvardmagazine.com/2017/07/an-educated-core
- Results of Minerva’s CLA+ testing: https://medium.com/minerva-schools/minerva-delivers-more-effective-learn...
- Recently published book about the Minerva project: Building the Intentional University https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/building-intentional-university
- More about Akiba Covitz: https://www.minerva.kgi.edu/people/akiba-covitz/